Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Spiced Pecans


Darn you, discounted Easter candy and your allure!
You are evil. 

The 2 (almost empty) family sized bags of mini eggs on my dining room table are proof.
Proof that discounted candy tastes much better than full price candy.
Also proof that I lack complete self control when it comes to a) sales, b) candy, and c) eating candy that was on sale.
And by the way, 'family sized' really means 'Jesse sized'.


This morning my husband asked me to make him mini egg pancakes and I was like, 'That's gross. Mini eggs are gross'. 
I had to lie.
I didn't want to share my precious egg stash. 
I actually think mini egg pancakes are a pretty fantastic idea and I'm jealous I didn't think of it first.


Another great idea (I also didn't think up) is these pecans. 
Salty, sweet and spicy.
They're a big blast of flavor in your mouth.
They're definitely not gonna rock your world like a bag of mini eggs stuffed into some pancakes but they do jazz up a salad and make a pretty tasty snack.

I know. I know.
I was just talking about mini eggs and now you're craving some and all I'm leaving you with is a recipe for pecans. 
That's tough. I'm mean. I'm sorry. Try the pecans.


Spiced Pecan
Makes 1 cup
Adapted from : Urban Pantry 

2 tbsp + 4 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon 
½ tsp cayenne
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
¼ cup peanut oil
1 cup whole pecans

Directions:
1. In a medium bowl combine 2 tbsp brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, turmeric, paprika, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
2. Cover the bottom of a large sauté pan with the peanut oil and heat on medium high. When oil begins to ripple add pecans - stir frequently so they don't burn. 
3. When pecans start to smoke add 4 tbsp of brown sugar and toss, toss, toss so the sugar doesn't burn. Once the sugar is dissolved, remove the pecans with a slotted spoon and add them to the measured out spices. Working quickly, stir to combine. When mixture has cooled enough to taste, adjust spices to your liking. Pour on a pan to cool completely. Store sealed at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...