Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Sublime Coconut Birthday Cake



My dad had a birthday.
It was on the 19th of this month.
We ate Indian food.
People came over.
They gave him presents.
He opened said presents.
People drank wine.
Other people (me) drank tang and cream soda.
The little one's (and a big one) played in the bouncy house.
And.....
we ate cake.


This cake.
That I made.
I know.
I'm a great daughter :)


This cake batter was so good it almost didn't make it to the pan.
It's the kind of cake batter you find yourself doing the classic, 'one for me, one for the pan' bit.

I usually try not to eat anything with raw eggs but I really couldn't resist it's rich coconut and buttery allure.

The actual cooked cakes were good too (although not quite as good as the batter).
There were light and had a subtle coconut flavour with a melt in your mouth crumb from all that delicious butter.


But the icing. Oh Lord, the icing.
I must've eaten a cup of it before I iced the cakes.
I even had to go back and make a double batch.

Coconut cream, butter and sugar.
Need I say more?


When the cake and the icing finally made it together. I topped that goodness with some lightly (and some heavily) toasted coconut ribbons and angels began to sing.


No seriously, I think I heard them.
They were singing Happy Birthday.


This cake was sublime.
For a birthday or just because it's Monday, make it and you'll see what I mean.

Sublime Coconut Cake
Makes: 1 9" layered cake
Adapted from 'Too Many Cooks' by Emily Franklin

For the cakes:
1 cup butter
2 cups superfine sugar (I just used granulated)
3 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 egg yolk
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the icing:
2 cups icing sugar
½ cup soft butter
1 tsp vanilla
¼ cup coconut cream
1 tbsp flour
3 tbsp coconut milk (or more or less depending on consistency)
grated toasted coconut

Directions:
1. Line 2 x 9" round baking pans with parchment paper and grease. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. For the cake, sift together the baking powder and flour. Cream together the butter and the sugar in an electric mixer.  When light and fluffy (about 2 mins) add the eggs, the egg yolk and the vanilla one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Continue to beat as you add the flour mixture in thirds alternating with the coconut milk. Beat until thoroughly combined.
4. Scrape the cake batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30 - 45 mins or until toothpick comes out clean.
5. Allow cakes to cool for 5 mins and remove from pan onto a cooling rack.
6. Leave them to cool completely.

7. For the icing: in an electric stand mixer cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla, coconut cream and flour. Mix well. Add coconut milk very slowly until desired consistency is reached.
8. Place one cake round on a cake stand. Spread a thick, even layer of icing on. Sprinkle half of the toasted coconut over top. Place the other cake round upside down on top of it. Spread a thin layer of icing on top and sides. Refridgerate. This will be the crumb layer.
9. After icing is firm ice top and sides with the rest of the icing. Top with remaining coconut.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...