Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Blackberry Chocolate Chip Scones


My baby brother has a girlfriend. I'm in denial so please don't tell him I just said that.

The only good thing that has come out of this relationship for me are these beauties..... (oh, and some alpaca stuff but that's another story for another time).


Ten pounds of luscious blackberries from Krause Berry Farms in Langley, B.C. that they didn't even bother to pick themselves! 
The nerve! 
The audacity!
 I'm sure the girlfriend woulda picked me some berries, it's the baby brother that stood in her way.

Yes, that is a snowflake you are seeing in the middle of August on my mixing bowl.
I guess berries are berries. Picked or purchased they all come from a blackberry bush.

 It's just the time.
 And the thought.
 I would have liked to know they were thinking about me as they spent time together picking berries for me. Is that too much to ask? Is it? That my 20 year old brother and his girlfriend would spend their time together thinking about me?

$2.78, that's how much they were if you were wondering
I think about them. 
I think about them a lot.
 Like, for example when I was purchasing these lovely Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips at MTF in Kelowna, I thought to myself, "I wonder what J and D are up to right now".

 Okay....
 that's not so much a true story.
 I bought these last year before there was even a girlfriend to think of. My life was a lot simpler then..... 

I miss those days.


Hmmm....I'm just remembering that I made some scones. 

I was going to talk about how good they were. 

I was going to say that an old coffee shop from our town inspired them.

I was going to say how easy they were to mix up and plop on the pan..... 


........but now I'm feeling dispirited.

Maybe I'll make some more of these.

They'll make me feel better.



Blackberry Chocolate Chip Scones
Makes 12
Adapted from: Annie's Eats originally from Brown Eyed Baker

1 cup plus 2 tbsp flour (all white or half whole wheat is nice)
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
½ cup dark chocolate chips
½ cup blackberries
1 cup heavy cream
coarse sugar for sprinkling (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Sprinkle half of the sugar over the berries, stir and set aside.
2. Prepare a baking pan with either a silicone mat or line with parchment. Combine flour, remaining sugar, baking powder and salt, in a medium bowl; stir to combine.
3. Toss in the chocolate chips and the cream. Blend until just barely incorporated. 
4. Add the blackberries and gently mix a couple more times.
5. Drop spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
6. Bake 15-20 minutes until tops are lightly browned. Cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...