Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Swamp Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream


Okay, the mint didn't really come from the swamp.
I'd like to say it did but I'm not even sure where the swamps around here are.... and even if I did know where they were I would not go visit them.


This lovely bundle of minty freshness came from my Mom and Dad's backyard. They do have a very swamp like pond back there.


I have no idea what kind of mint this is but it tastes very wild, very wild indeed. My husband says it smells/tastes like swamp mint. I'm not sure if that's even a real thing but I'm gonna go with it.

Whipping Cream, oh how I love thee.
My husband and his discerning taste buds love mint chocolate chip ice cream.  So when I came across David Lebovitz's recipe from The Perfect Scoop, I was excited to give it a try. 


This husband, he's a special kinda guy so I try to make him happy. 

This ice cream will make him happy.


I don't have an ice cream maker but that's no problem.

I've made ice cream before..... it takes a little time but it's worth it.

Now, let me give you a word of advice if you don't own an ice cream maker.


Here it is:

 Don't start making this ice cream at 8:00pm. Emphasis on the PM!!!.


Otherwise, you'll be setting your alarm at one hour intervals into the wee, wee hours of the morning to stir the ice cream.

It's not a nice thing. 
It's not good for your mood. Believe me.


That inconvenience aside, this ice cream was pretty good.

Swamp mint and all.

Although, if I make it again I'm going to try it with chocolate mint.

I melted down two Jersey Milk chocolate bars for the chocolate chips.... that's definitely my favourite part.


Ahh....... the things we do for love.


Mint Chip Ice Cream
Makes about 1 quart (1l)
 from The Perfect Scoop (Ten Speed Press)

For the mint ice cream:
1 cup (250 ml) whole milk
3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
2 cups (500 ml) heavy cream
pinch of salt
2 cups packed (80 gr) fresh mint leaves
5 large egg yolks

For the chocolate chips:
5 ounces (140 gr) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped

Directions:
1. In a medium saucepan, warm the milk, sugar, 1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream, salt, and mint.

2. Once the mixture is hot and steaming, remove from heat, cover, and let stand for an hour to infuse the mint flavor.

3. Remove the mint with a strainer, then press down with a spatula firmly to extract as much mint flavor and color as possible. (You can also use well-washed hands to do it as well, making sure the mixture isn't too hot to safely handle.) Once the flavor is squeezed out, discard the mint.

4. Pour the remaining heavy cream into a large bowl and set the strainer over the top.

5. Rewarm the infused milk. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, then slowly pour some of the warm mint mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed yolks back into the saucepan.

6. Cook the custard, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. If using an instant read thermometer, it should read around 170ºF (77ºC).

7. Immediately strain the mixture into the cream, then stir the mixture over an ice bath until cool.

8. Refrigerate the mixture thoroughly, preferably overnight, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
While the mixture is freezing, melt the chocolate in a small bowl over a pot of simmering water, or in a microwave oven on low power, stirring until smooth. Place a storage container in the freezer.

9. When the ice cream in the machine is ready, scribble some of the chocolate into the container, then add a layer of the just-churned ice cream to the container. Scribble melted chocolate over the top of the ice cream, then quickly stir it in, breaking up the chocolate into irregular pieces. Continue layering the ice cream, scribbling more chocolate and stirring as you go.

When finished, cover and freeze until firm.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...