Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

Apricots in Spiced Rum Syrup


Not too long ago, I bought a giant box of apricots. (They were on sale and you know how I feel about sales .)

I love using local, in season produce. It makes me feel pretty special.
And sometimes a girl just needs to feel special.
The only problem with shopping local and in season is everything looks soooo much better. So instead of buying 3 or 4 apricots I end up with 23lbs of apricots.


So now I ask the question: What the heck am I going to do with all these apricots???



I've made jam, I've canned, I've frozen, I've dehydrated, I've pickled..... Pickled apricots?!?...... I didn't really do that or did I

So what's left to do?

Stumped? Me too.

Until I saw this recipe for nectarines steeped in rum and spices.
I subbed the nectarines for apricots and ..... 
VoilĂ ! 
A way to use up some apricots.


I'm going to let these steep for a least 6 weeks and then maybe use them over ice cream or over Greek style yogurt or use them to fill a tart shell or just eat them out of the jar. 
And probably come mid October, I'll ask myself why I didn't buy more apricots.


WARNING: These will make your house smell like fall and Christmas wrapped in a rummy goodness that will make you want to put up your Christmas tree, start a roaring fire and sing Christmas carols.

I know I did.

Apricots in Spiced Rum Syrup
Makes about 1 quart

6 apricots, sliced in half and pitted
2 cups water
1/2 cup honey plus 2 tablespoons more
1/2 cup spiced rum plus 2 tablespoons more
2 cinnamon sticks
3 star anise
1 vanilla bean, split in half
1 quart or 2 pint glass jars with lids



1. Place halved apricots, water, the 1/2 cup honey and the 1/2 cup rum in a pot with the cinnamon, star anise and the vanilla bean. The apricots should be covered by the liquid. Turn the heat to medium-high and stir so that the honey dissolves completely. Allow to simmer gently for about 1 hour (stir every now and then so that all of the nectarines cook equally).

2. With a slotted spoon, remove the apricots and place in a bowl. If it’s easy to remove the skins, go ahead (feel free to leave them on, though).

3. Put the syrup back on the stove, add the additional 2 tablespoons each of the honey and rum, and allow to boil gently for 10-15 minutes more, so the syrup is reduced and thickened. Remove from the heat.

4. Spoon the apricots into your jar(s). Pour the syrup through a fine strainer over the fruit and discard the vanilla bean and spices. If some of the apricots are not fully immersed in the liquid, add more rum so that they are all covered.

4. Cap tightly and allow to sit in a cool, dark place for at least 6 weeks. These should then be consumed within 6 months.

Directions:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...