Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Apple Chips


Remember how I said I have ten thousand pounds of apples?
(*I exaggerate a lot so please don't take my amounts literally. Thanks.)


Well, I am indeed still figuring out ways to use those apples.

I guess with this many apples it was inevitable that I would eventually be spending my afternoons coring and slicing to make apple rings for the dehydrator.


Side Note: Dehydrators are wonderful inventions. You put what ever you want in, leave them to be for several hours and your perishables are transformed into non-perishables. In this case apples slices are converted into lovely little dried apple chips. Perfect for the ever curious 7 month old to snack on.

Apple chips are for eating, not wholly mammoths!

And now back to the show:
 It took a lot of work to get the apples prepped for the chips but it was worth it!
They're a great healthy snack to eat on the run, they don't have to go in the fridge and they were super cheap to make.

All qualities I admire in my food.


Healthy, convenient and cheap. What's not to love?


Apples Chips

1. Wash apples well. If desired remove the peel. 
2. Core apples and slice horizontally to create an 'apple ring', about ¼'' to ½'' thick.
3. While you are prepping apples, place apple rings into a cold bowl or sink of water with approximately 2 tbsps of salt sprinkled in to prevent apples from turning brown. When you have the desired amount of apple slices, dehydrate according to manufacturers instructions. If you do not have a dehydrator put your oven on low heat (between 130°F and 150°F) and bake for about 3 hours checking often for desired dryness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...