Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Almond Honey Chews


I love making candy.
Seriously, it's one of my favourite things.


Other then the obvious reasons to love candy, I love that it stays fresh for weeks. (I would even argue that it keeps for months. )
Being that I'm usually the only one around my house, that's a very desirable quality.


Another thing I love about making candy is that the process is fairly simple but people are crazy impressed by the fact that you made candy.
That's what I'm all about.
Little effort, big impact.

Beige sugar mixture

Oh, and! 
I can't forget that I love to make candy because I usually have the ingredients on hand. It generally only requires sugar, corn syrup, butter, whip cream and sometimes chocolate.

Light brown sugar mixture

And wait, another reason for my love of making candy is that it's wonderful to give as a gift.

Seeing as how it's only 105! days until Christmas, I suggest you keep this in mind.

Rich and delicious caramel

So if I was counting the ways of my love for candy making, that's at least 4 ways.


Just thought of another. 
I love to pick at candy during all of the candy making stages. 
So... make that 5 ways.


Try it today but don't burn your almonds like I did. Oopsies :)


Almond Honey Chews
Makes about 50 small squares

4 cups sliced, blanched almonds
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1 cup butter
¾ cup honey
1 ½ cups sugar
1 tbsp light corn syrup

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the almonds on a cookie sheet and bake until lightly toasted. Don't burn them like I did :( . Transfer the almonds to a bowl but leave the oven on. Grease a 12'' x 8'' rimmed cookie sheet and line with parchment.
2. Place all remaining ingredients except the almonds in a heavy bottomed saucepan and attach a candy thermometer to the side. Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat. When the mixture changes from beige to light brown turn heat down to med-low and continue to cook stirring every 2 minutes. Cook until the mixture reaches 260°F (now it's caramel) and remove from heat.
3. Fold in the almonds with a heat proof spatula. Scrape mixture onto prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes or until the candy flattens out and air bubbles appear throughout.
4. Allow to cool at least 4 hours before cutting into tiny squares. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...