Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Breakfast Quinoa



This recipe must of hopped on my blog when I wasn't looking.


A recipe without sugar and butter?

I haven't seen one of those around here in a long time.

It doesn't even have wheat or dairy.

Nope, doesn't look like something that went on in my kitchen this month!


But that is my pot.
And these pictures do look familiar.

Actually,
I think it's coming back to me.... 
that's right, I ran out of sugar last week.

 I was forced to revert to my pre chrismas baking days and make this hot cereal (or hot grain).


Come to think of it... I didn't even miss the butter or sugar.

The quinoa (keen-wa) is cooked in apple juice and studded with raspberries, making it naturally sweet enough.
The almonds even gave it a nice crunch (just like a crispy christmas cookie).

I should make this again....


Why don't we all eat this nice healthy breakfast this weekend so we can eat all the Christmas sweets that are coming to us next week? 
Good plan?
Good plan.

Breakfast Quinoa
Makes: 2 cups
Adapted from: Martha Stewart.

1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups apple juice (or substitute any type of milk)
1 cup raspberries or blueberries
½ cup almonds, toasted
 ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)

Directions:
1. Bring juice (or milk) to a boil in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until 3/4 of the milk has been absorbed.
2. Stir in cinnamon (if using), continue to cook covered for about 8 minutes or until all the milk has been absorbed.
3. Stir in berries and cook for about 30 seconds (longer if berries are frozen).
4. Remove from heat and stir in almonds. Serve with milk, additional berries, cinnamon and brown sugar.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...