Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Mustard Onions and Pickles


Do you remember my Great Pickle Disaster?

No?

That's okay.
I'm trying to forgot about it too.


The same day that I bought my big box of cucumbers for those pickles I thought I needed to buy a few pounds of silver skin onions. You know the ones with the really difficult to skin to peel off?
Yea... those ones.
They were just too cute to pass up.


Initially, I thought about roasting the little guys but since my meat and potatoes hubby hates onions I didn't want to get stuck eating them all by myself.


I guess he doesn't know that love means you eat whatever your loving wife cooks for you.
I think we should've added it to our wedding vows:
"I vow to cherish you and eat whatever food you cook for me. Even if it smells like dirty diapers and I want to puke, I will chew and swallow with a smile because I know it will make you happy."


This is my four year old niece, Arielle. Isn't she beautiful? She loves helping in the kitchen and although it's not really a help when she 'helps' I love her enthusiasm. Especially when it comes to peeling onions ;)


But since he didn't vow to eat anything I cook.... I opted away from roasting them and made them into these mustard onions.


I'm pretty sure it was the better choice.
This way I'll be able to give them as gifts for Christmas to people who like onions.


So if you're on my Christmas list and you don't mind onions, you're probably gonna get a jar of these.

Mustard Cucumbers
Makes: about 6 pints
Source: The Mennonite of Treasury Recipes 

7 large cucumbers
3lbs silverskin pearl onions
2½ cups vinegar
2 cups white sugar
2 tbsp dry mustard
1 tsp ginger
1 ¾ cups water
½ cup flour
¾ tbsp turmeric

Directions:
1. Peel cucumbers and onions. Slice cucumbers. Sprinkle with salt and let stand overnight. (I didn't do this and mine seemed to turn out fine)
2. To a large saucepan add the vinegar, sugar, mustard, ginger, water, flour and turmeric. Cook on med high heat until thick and smooth (about 5 minutes.) 
3. Drain cucumbers and onions and add to sauce. Cook 10 minutes longer.
4. Fill clean sterilized jars and seal.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...