Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal


I've always thought of oatmeal as poor man's food. 
Like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory before he got the chocolate factory poor.


When I say oatmeal, I really mean porridge.
To me, cooked oatmeal is poverty porridge.
I know you all agree with me and therefore are wondering why on earth I'd bring you a recipe with cooked oatmeal.


Well that's because this, my friend, is no poverty porridge.


This baked oatmeal is homey, creamy, rich and tastes of prosperity but can be made on a poor man's (or lady's) budget. 
It's great for a crowd and can easily be adapted to use up fruit that may be nearing it's expiration date in your fridge or freezer.

I know I'm not the only one with it..... aging fruit..... it's time to part ways and use it up. 


Make this great custard-like oatmeal (that, thankfully, has few porridge-like qualities) and serve it with a buffet of toppings like brown sugar, honey, milk, dried fruit, and toasted nuts.


Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Serves: 4 - 6
Source: Two Peas and Their Pod (barely adapted)

2 cups old fashioned oats
¼ cup light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ cups skim milk
½ cup applesauce
1 tbsp melted butter (or coconut oil)
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large apple, cored, diced (and peeled if your not lazy like me) 

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. 
2. In a large bowl, stir together oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce, butter, egg whites and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until combined. Gently stir in apples and pour mixture into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 20 minutes or until oatmeal is set. Serve warm with brown sugar, milk, toasted nuts and/or dried fruit.

Substitutions I've tried that work: 
*subbing in 1 whole egg for the 2 egg whites
*1 cup old fashioned oats and 1 cup kamut flakes
*1 small apple plus a handful of blackberries


2 comments:

  1. I wrote a post about baked oatmeal recently as well and I'm loving all the different variations you can do. It's so versatile. Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked out your post. You have some great looking variations! I'm definitely going to try out the chocolate one :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...