Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Slow Cooked Tex-Mex Chicken and Beans


I recently noticed that I haven't posted many recipes that would be suitable for supper.
It's ironic because I actually do cook a proper supper most nights.


Truthfully, I'd like to just eat a loaf of bread and some cookies, but since that's not really the mature choice (is it?) I'm always on the look out for nutritious, easy to prepare dishes.... like this one. 


It was a really great meal for a busy winter day. It took less than 10 minutes to assemble and the slow cooker did all the work. (Plus, it smelled amazing while it cooked!)
 
Boneless thighs work best but I had these in the freezer so I just pulled out the bones before serving.

I thought this dish would be stew like but I was pleasantly surprised that it was more like a Mexican style pulled chicken. For next time, I think it would be pretty fantastic served on a crusty kaiser bun. (I think anything served on a hunk of bread would be fantastic.)


Plan ahead and make this on a day you won't have much time for dinner, it won't dissappoint.
P.S. It freezes well, too.

Slowed Cooked Tex-Mex Chicken and Beans
Serves: 4

1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed
1 1/2 cups good salsa
2 tbsps chopped chipotle chiles (I found this a little spicy)
2 tbsps flour
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 red onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped (core removed)
1/4 cup low fat sour cream to serve
1/4 cup cilantro to serve

Directions:
1.In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together beans, salsa, chiles, flour, and 1 cup water. Season chicken with salt and pepper; arrange on top of bean mixture. Scatter onion and bell pepper on top of chicken.
2.Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours. (Do not open lid or stir.)
3.Remove chicken from stew; shred into large pieces and return to stew. Serve topped with sour cream and cilantro. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks good....I'll have to try it....minus the chillies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...