Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Vegan Pumpkin Breakfast Cookie


How do I say, "I didn't like this cookie, it wasn't very good, don't make it?"

Oh, I just said it.
That was easy.


I shouldn't completely disregard this cookie.
They're not bad.
They just don't deserve the title 'cookie'.


I prefer my cookies to be tooth achingly sweet, and loaded with chocolate and butter.
That's the way cookies were intended to be.
Am I right? Or am I right?


These aren't very sweet at all (truth be told, I threw in a handful of chocolate chips to liven them up but if you're vegan just forget I said that).
I'd say they're more of a cookie shaped power bar, good for an afternoon snack (or quick breaky) but definitely not going to satisfy a sweet craving.


That being said, they're not going to waste around my house. Although they're not my favorite 'cookie' (I use that word lightly) I probably need a break from all the sugar/butter/chocolate that usually goes on around here.


Vegan Pumpkin Breakfast Cookie
Makes about 16
Adapted from The Alchemist

1 ¾ cups pumpkin puree (or banana)
2 ¼ cups rolled oats (I used a mix of kamut flakes, soaked in hot water for a couple minutes and regular oatmeal)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup maple syrup or agave nectar (adjust this depending on how sweet you'd like the cookie to be)
½ cup toasted chopped walnuts (or any other nut)
½ cup chopped dates (or any other chopped dried fruit)
½ cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Using your food processor or blender grind 2 cups of the oats into a fine powder.
2. In a large bowl combine ground oats, ¼ cup whole oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the pumpkin, vanilla and maple syrup and thoroughly mix. Fold in the nuts, dates and seeds. Scoop out by the tablespoon and roll into balls, gently flatten and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 - 16 minutes or until done in the middle. Store in an airtight container.

Linked to: Seasonal Sundays


2 comments:

  1. These sound so healthy and so delicious at the same time. Sounds like a great way to use pumpkin. I hope you'll come by and link them up to Sweets for a Saturday #6 (it'll stay open till tomorrow night). http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look and sound INCREDIBLE!!
    Thanks for sharing them at this weeks Seasonal Sunday Event!!
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...