Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Marshmallow Puff Tartlets


Was anyone else awoken by the smell of fresh fecal matter this morning?
Oh.... it was just me then..... that's a shame.
I guess that's what happens when you make the almighty bran muffin part of a baby's snack time.


I'm not going to lie, for about 2 seconds I thought about just going back to sleep.... and then I caught sight of the tell-tale brown puddle forming through my little one's sleeper and onto my sheets.
*Sigh*
Forced out of bed, I had washed sheets, pajamas and a little body by 6:00am.


What does that have to do with Marshmallow Tartlets?
Nothing.

Except that I really need to break into my Christmas baking today to ease the horror of my morning and I'm going to start with these.

Christmas baking can get messy, in more ways than one. This is what happens when you forget there's a baby loose in the house.

They're sorta like a Viva Puff but without the cookie and the chocolate coating.
The recipe does call for the chocolate coating but I thought it was an unnecessary step.

(Did you see my broken dishes? I don't really have the multitasking abilities for unnecessary steps.)


I found these pretty simple to make.
Pressing the chocolate in the pan to make the crust was a bit tedious but I'm willing to do tedious things in the name of Christmas. 


Go ahead and make these.... they're good enough to erase the horror of even the worst morning.


Marshmallow Puff Tartlets
Makes about 48
Source: Canadian Living 2010 'Special Issue Cookbook'

½ cup unsalted butter
⅓ cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
⅓ cup cocoa powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup strawberry jam
24 marshmallow, cut in half lengthwise

2oz each bittersweet and milk chocolate , coarsely chopped
1 tsp vegetable oil

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder and salt; stir into butter mixture to make a stiff dough. Wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.

2. By rounded 1 tsp, press dough into ¾ inch deep mini tart cups. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.

3. Prick bottom of each shell twice. Bake in a 350°F oven until bottoms are dark and edges are brown, about 10 minutes.

4. Immediately spoon ¼ tsp jam into each tart shell; top with marshmallow half, cut side down. Bake until marshmallow is slightly melted but still white, about 2 minutes.

5. While warm, press marshmallow slightly to seal shell. let cool in pan for 5 minutes; remove from pan and let cool on rack.

6. In a small heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering (not boiling) water, melt together bittersweet chocolate, milk chocolate and oil. Remove from heat. Dip marshmallow tops into chocolate mixture ; let stand on rack until set, about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...