Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chewy Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies


I saw these and I wanted them. 
So I made them.

And then, when I remembered, I took a really bad picture of them.


I wanted to make these cookies so badly that I didn't even use the right ingredients!

The recipe (originally from Alton Brown) says specifically not to use blackstrap molasses.

But all I had was blackstrap molasses and I really, really wanted to make these cookies so I used it anyway.

The recipe also calls for bread flour but did I have bread flour? No.
So what did I use?
All purpose.

Kosher Salt?
Didn't have it.
Used regular old table salt.


You'd think with all these shoddy substitutions these cookies would've turned out terribly: flat, over salted and crazy molassesy.


But they didn't.

They were quite good, in fact.

Everything I wanted and needed them to be.

Dark, chewy, caramely, and chocolatey. 


(My apologies for the bad photos. 
I was way to concentrated on eating them to document them.)


Chewy Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen
Source: Joy the Baker

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups plus 2 tbsp bread flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
¼cup plus 1 tsp dark molasses (not blackstrap)
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
2 cups dark chocolate chips
sea salt for sprinkling on cookies

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
2. In a medium sized bowl, mix the granulated sugar and molasses until no large molasses clumps remain.
3. Pour the melted butter in the mixer’s work bowl. Add the homemade brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Chill the dough for about 20 minutes, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets.  Lightly sprinkle each dough ball with a few flecks of sea salt.  It really brings out the chocolate flavor.
5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. I like these cookies to be just a bit under-done. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...