Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Brazilian Cheesebread (GF)


Everyone is probably making new year's resolutions to cut down on carbs, eat healthier and exercise more. 
If that's you, good for you! I hope you win.

One word of advice though.... you might want to stay away from me for a bit. 
I'm nothing but trouble!


I've never really subscribed to the whole New Year's Resolution thing. 
One time of year we resolve to make major lifestyle changes? 
Seems overwhelming and destined for failure. 
(Why yes, I know I'm a ray of sunshine :p).

Don't get my wrong, I'm all about resolving to change oneself. Change is good. I just prefer to tackle it day by day, and moment by moment.


In that spirit, I'm always resolving to try out different ingredients in my cooking or baking.
This recipe interested me in particular because it's made mostly with tapioca flour (starch), something that I've only used maybe once before. (For anyone wondering, tapioca flour was $1.79/425g in the supermarket's oriental section.)

Plus I'm a sucker for anything carby and cheesy.

These were really easy to make, no kneading or rising. But there was one thing......


They had a very um..... unique texture. I'm not sure if it was unique good or unique bad.
They are extremely chewy like I-thought-I-under-baked-them chewy.
Almost..... dare I turn you off by saying......... gluey?
That really sounds gross but they weren't gross at all they were just different.
Your just going to have to try these out for your self.
Embrace them. Love them. Make them this 2012.


Brazilian Cheesebread
Makes: about 12
  • ½ cups Whole Milk
  • ½ cups Water
  • ¼ cups Canola Oil
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt (heaping)
  • 2-½ cups Tapioca Flour, Or A Little More As Needed
  • 1-½ whole Egg Beaten
  • 4 ounces, weight Granulated Cojita Cheese, Plus Extra For Topping Cheese Breads
  • Directions: Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease 2 baking sheets. In a saucepan bring the milk, water, oil, and salt to a boil. Remove the pan from heat and set aside. Add the flour in increments, stirring constantly until the dough becomes pliable and can be kneaded with hands. Be patient, the more you stir the more solid the dough will become. Only add enough flour until dough reaches desired consistency. Stir in the beaten eggs then the cojita cheese. Stir until dough becomes thick and can be molded. Add additional tapioca flour if needed. Roll dough into 1″ balls and dip the tops into the extra cheese. Place on the greased baking sheets and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese becomes golden brown.



  • Note: You can also use granulated parmesan cheese (Kraft) for this recipe.





2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...