Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Easy Pumpkin Tiramisu


The Sunday morning of Thanksgiving I had a big craving for tiramisu.
And I mean a big one.

So big, in fact, that at 6 am I risked waking up my baby to turn on my mixer to make it.

See, I told you it was big.


It was also strange.
You know why it's so odd that I had a craving for tiramisu?

Hmmm.....
Let's turn this into a multiple choice game. It's strange because:

a) I hate coffee (ahhh.... I can't even pretend to say that!)
b) I don't know what tiramisu is
c) tiramisu makes my skin turn purple and my hair turn orange
d) anytime I come near this dessert I can't stop singing That's Amore


I really wish I could say that tiramisu makes my skin purple and my hair orange.
That would be freakishly cool.
But unfortunately the truth is very boring option b) : I don't know what tiramisu is. Or should I say didn't know.


How does one go through life without knowing what tiramisu is?
I have no idea.
How do I crave it without knowing what it is?
No idea.
I think somewhere deep in my subconscious I knew that I needed to research this dessert ASAP and it needed to join it's friends: Triple Chocolate Pumpkin Pie and Pear Custard Pie on the thanksgiving table.

I think my subconscious was right.

Except there was one little problem.

At 6:00am the grocery stores aren't open and I don't keep mascarpone cheese in my fridge.
Shocking!

So a little online research led me to Martha's easy tiramisu which uses cream cheese, which I did have (yay!) and a half can of leftover pumpkin puree in my fridge inspired this fall friendly pumpkin version of tiramisu.


Enjoy!

Easy Pumpkin Tiramisu
Inspired By: Martha Stewart
Serves: 6


3 tbsps instant espresso powder
8 oz light cream cheese
¾ cup heavy cream
⅓ cup white sugar
1 can (15oz) pumpkin purée
¾ tsp pumpkin pie spice (or ¼ each cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg)
2 pkgs (3oz each) soft lady fingers
cocoa powder for dusting

Directions:


1. In a medium bowl, mix espresso powder with 3 tablespoons boiling water until dissolved. Add 1 1/2 cups cold water; set aside.
2. With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese with heavy cream and sugar until light and fluffy. Add pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice and mix for another minute or until completely combined.
3. Spread a few tablespoons of cream-cheese mixture in the bottom of a 2-quart serving dish. Separate ladyfingers. One by one, dip a third of ladyfingers in espresso, then arrange in bottom of dish. Spread with a third of cream-cheese mixture. Repeat twice with remaining ladyfingers, espresso, and cream-cheese mixture (can be refrigerated, covered, up to 1 day).
4. Dust with cocoa just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...