Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Spanakopita Wannabes


I love eating phyllo pastry, but I suck at using it.
It's so thin and delicate. I lack the skill to gracefully move it around and keep it in tact. 


So when I'm drowning in spinach and feta (ok, drowning is an over exaggeration) and I need to make some spanakopita, I cheat.

I try not to cheat too often in life. 
Or at least if I do I don't announce to the world. 
But in the realm of food, sometimes cheating just can't be avoided.


Hence, I swapped out the phyllo for pizza dough which techinically means these can't be spanakopita so they're wannabes.

All the flavor without the crispy, crunchy mess.

I got spinach everywhere.

Spanakopita Wannabes
Makes 4

2 eggs
1 pkg (10oz) fresh or frozen spinach, chopped
¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ tsp pepper
1 tube (10oz) refrigerated pizza crust or make your own

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl whisk eggs; reserve 1 tbsp of egg and set aside.
2.In a medium bowl, combine the spinach, feta, garlic, pepper and remaining egg.
3. Roll pizza dough into a 12'' square. Cut into 4 3'' squares. Top each square with about 1/3 cup of spinach mixture.
4. Fold each square into a triangle and pinch edges to seal. Cut slits in top and brush with reserved egg.
5. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...