Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Easy Jam Tartlettes


I'm sorry.
I've been busy.
I haven't been around these parts much lately.


I've been other places.

Like Trader Joe's.
The San Diego Zoo.
Knott's Berry Farm.
Disneyland.
And Trader Joe's again and again.


So needless to say I haven't been baking much. I've been eating much, though.
Oh believe me, I've been eating.
I've been eating funnel cakes, churros, pretzels, popcorn, and fried chicken.

(Clearly I like to eat healthy while I'm away.)


Before I left on my little don't-have-a-kitchen-so-I'll-eat-lots-of-junk voyage I made a batch of these little beauties.

I was procrastinating.
Who likes to pack when you can bake?

They were easy. Hence the name.
They were good. They're in my freezer.
I want one now. Or maybe five.

I think they'll be a healthy balance to what I've been eating lately.


Jam has fruit in it so I'll just count it as my fruit for the day and cornmeal's a vegetable, right?

Easy Jam Tartlettes
Makes: 24
Source: David Lebovitz's Ready for Dessert

1 ½ cups flour
½ cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
9 tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs (1 of them separated)
⅛ tsp almond extract
1 ½ tsp jam (I used plum)

Directions:
1. In a small bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment blend butter and sugar until smooth.
2. Add the egg, egg yolk and almond extract until blended. Gradually add flour mixture until dough just comes together.
3. Transfer about 1/3 of the dough to a lightly floured counter and roll into a log. Wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge (or freezer) until firm. Press about 1 heaping tbsp of  the remaining dough into each cup of a mini tart pan. Press into the bottom and up the sides. Place in the fridge until firm.
4. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Fill each tart shell with a good spoonful of jam. Use a sharp paring knife to cut round discs from the dough 'log'. Place one dough circle on each tart.
5. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until crust is golden. Let sit in pan for 5 minutes and then remove and place on a cooling rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...