Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Blueberry Spelt Muffins


Today, I'm going to talk to you about ancient grains.

HA!

What do I know about ancient grains?... besides that there are seven, they are ancient and they are grains.
(They are right? Ancient and grains..... I mean logically it would make sense.)


I do know one more thing about them; there has been a resurgence in ancient grains as a replacement for wheat, because of modern cultivation methods which have led to an increase in wheat intolerances and wheat allergies in people.

Wow! I don't know where that came from. 

I just let my fingers go faster than my brain and hidden information appeared. Let me try that again:

I know..... I know something about some stuff that sometime, somewhere, someone made somebody study.

Huh, that didn't work... back to ancient grains.


For this reason, the aforementioned wheat cultivation methods, I occasionally like to mix up my grain intake. A little rye, a little quinoa, a little spelt ...... I like to go pretty crazy. 


Like today, when I decided wheat flour just wasn't going to make the cut for my blueberry muffins.
No, ma'am. Not for me. Not today!
I'm going to have a bit of freshly milled spelt flour.

And let me just say, that was the right decision.


Whole ancient grainy goodness, lemony freshness, and blueberry moistness: You Are Divine.


I also thought I'd try my muffin grilled. 

Yea, I thought it was a good idea too.

These were good.


But these were butter, I meant better :) 


Blueberry Spelt Muffins
Makes 12
Adapted from: My Green Diet

1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups spelt flour (you can use whole wheat in place of spelt)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (if frozen do not thaw)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper cup liners. 
2. In a medium size bowl whisk together oil, applesauce, eggs, lemon juice and vanilla.
3. In a second bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, zest and salt.
4. Stir flour mixture into the egg mixture into just combined. (Do not overmix)
5. Gently stir in blueberries.
6. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the muffin comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...