Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cilantro Pesto Egg Salad


I'm not a huge lover of cilantro or egg salad.
Maybe this wasn't my best choice to make for lunch.
The cilantro made me do it.

A half batch of cilantro pesto being made

I had a big bunch of cilantro sitting in the fridge threatening to spoil and this seemed like a good enough way to use it up. 

Let me start my 'review' in saying this recipe didn't convert me to egg salad.
I'm still not fond of the stuff but I'll eat it if I must.


I was, however, pleased with the way the cilantro pesto turned out.
Generally, I find cilantro over powering and a bit of a steal the show herb.

This pesto really mellowed out the flavor.  I think it'd be good tossed with some hot pasta instead of the egg salad. I'm still struggling to think of how else I'd use this Mexican-Italian fusion pesto.

Any ideas out there?


Cilantro Pesto Egg Salad
Adapted from Mess in the Kitchen
Makes about 2 cups for 8 sandwiches  (don't hold me to that)

For the pesto:
70 grams cilantro
2 tbsp pinenuts or walnuts
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 small garlic clove, peeled
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 
salt and pepper to taste

For the egg salad:
6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and roughly chopped
½ cup low fat mayo (is there really such a thing?)
2 sticks of celery, chopped

16 slices crusty brown bread

Directions:
1. To make the pesto: combine all the ingredients (under pesto) in a food processor and process until smooth and creamy looking. Taste and add more salt and pepper depending on your liking.
2. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the chopped eggs, mayo and celery.
3. If desired toast the slices of brown bread. Spread about ¼ cup of egg salad on 8 slices of bread, top with the remaining slices and cut in triangles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...