Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Chocolate (Sour Cream) Pound Cake


I spent $2 at Value Village and bought myself one of these:


So naturally I had to make myself one of these:

Bundt cake bum

I think it was $2 well spent. (So does John.)

Bundt cake top

Whenever I see a bundt pan I feel inspired to make one of 2 things: angel food cake or pound cake.

Since I'm not the kind of woman that enjoys spending her days separating eggs, pound cake always wins me over. You too? Yea... I thought so.

When I think of pound cake, I think of Paula Deen. Anyone who knows anything about dear Paula knows that she's not chincy with the good stuff in her recipes; making her the perfect candidate for a recipe with the word pound in it.

Traditionally, pound cakes were made with a pound of each butter, sugar, eggs and flour. (Say good-bye to your bikini and hello to a severely indented couch.) Since this size of cake isn't really practical for a family.... or rather, shouldn't be practical for a family.... this recipe just follows the ration of 1:1:1:1.

Whew!
 You can still make this cake and eat it too.


Here's a tip: I subbed sour cream for the milk in the recipe and it was divine! I think it made the cake tangier....but what do I know? I haven't tried it with milk.
   

Chocolate (Sour Cream) Pound Cake
Serves: 16 to 20
Barely Adapted from: "The Lady and Sons Savannah Country Cookbook" by Paula Deen

3 cups white sugar
1 cup butter
½ cup margarine
5 eggs
3 cups cake flour
6 tbsp cocoa
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 cup milk (or sour cream)
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together butter, sugar and margarine until light and fluffy (about 2 mins). Add eggs one at a time beating well after each. Mix together dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk (or sour cream) to butter mixture., beginning with flour and ending with flour. Add vanilla. Bake in a greased and floured bundt pan for about 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...